Mini Strawberry Pop Tarts
Volume 8, Issue 01
September 23, 2022
Modified from Handle the Heat
For the tart:
-2 ¼ cups (290 grams) all-purpose flour
-¼ cup + 1 tablespoon (65 grams) granulated sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-2 sticks (227 grams) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
-¼ cup + 3 tablespoons (100 grams) cold water
-½ teaspoon honey
-2 teaspoons water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line sheet trays with parchment.
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl until just combined. Rub the butter into the dry mixture to incorporate, until the mixture looks sandy and no large clumps remain, making sure not to overmix.
- Pour cold water and honey into the dough mixture and fold until ingredients are well-incorporated into a dough ball.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Fold the dough in half, then roll it out. Repeat this 2-3 times and shape into a 1-inch thick slab. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Flour your work surface to roll out the dough. Roll the dough into a rectangle of 12 x 16 inches and about ⅛ of an inch thick. Cut the dough into rectangles 2 x 3 inches in height. Cut 32 rectangles.
- Lift 16 of the cut rectangles off your work surface and place them onto one of the prepared baking sheets.
- Brush the dough lightly with water, ensuring that the complete edges are wet to prevent filling leakage.
- Fill each center with 1 teaspoon of strawberry preserves, leaving about ¼-inch border from filling to the edge of the dough.
- Cover each filled pastry with a second dough rectangle and crimp the edges together with a fork. Prick the top with a fork to help with steam release. Repeat the process with any remaining cut rectangles.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg and water.
- Brush each filled rectangle with egg wash and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and the pastry is fully baked. Let cool completely before glazing.
For the glaze:
-1 ½ cups (188 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
-½ teaspoon vanilla extract
-2 tablespoons milk
-1 tablespoon corn syrup (about 22g)
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients except sprinkles.
- Use a spoon to glaze each cooled pop tart. Top with sprinkles.
- Leave to set for 30 minutes to 1 hour before eating.